Sunday, June 6, 2010

Journal #2 Reflection: Geeking Out

The article entitled "Geeking Out With Digital Media" was very interesting. The term "geeking out" is actually used to describe kids who use certain internet forums like www.cogito.com to enhance their learning. In other words, they are taking the responsibility for their learning and taking it to a whole new level.

The idea of having kids online to learn can be good and scary. First off, I don't know if the sites are secure or if a virus will infect a computer being used. In the article I read, the kids used basically one site to "geek out." I could see how the site could be used for gifted kids, even in 3rd grade. I would like to know more about the details of it, but it looks very beneficial. Kids of all ages already enjoy being online. Geeking out with "Cogito" seems like a good way to stretch those who want more from school.

I liked that "Cogito" offered different guest instructors. Each instructor would pose certain questions for kids to respond to. Sometimes, the instructor would have an article for kids to reflect on or respond to.

Kids also used summer break to travel and gather data. I see how some of my gifted boys and girls would love that. They already love sharing and are dying for a chance to let out that extra burst of opinion and experience they have. If I can suggest this to parents in the fall and I think it is a sound program, I think kids could get a lot out of it!

"Geeking Out With Digital Media." Tech & Learning. Online. 19 August 2009 www.techlearning.com/article/22638 9 June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment