Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Journal #3 25 Ways to Teach with Twitter

Before reading this article, I had assumed it was going to show me ways to use Twitter in class. I thought that that would be quite useless and a little unethical. However, as I read the article, I was quite intrigued to see that it was explaining how teachers can connect to other teachers around the world.

The ideas listed in this article for using Twitter were great. Some I enjoyed included sharing certain book titles for lessons, "tweeting" favorite sites, and joining a "twibe" of Tweeters. That would be hard to say 5 times fast! One reoccurring theme that came up in the 25 ideas was to respond to "tweets" with a "thank you" or appreciative remark. I thought that was a good way to make sure people received feedback for good information.

Although the ideas are great, they were not anything you couldn't include in an email, blog, or wiki. To receive the "tweets" you'd still have to seek out a good "tweeter" or make some knowledgeable friends. In my own opinion, I think it's good material, but seeking out the info when you want it or need it seems a lot more practical. Receiving "tweets" on the fly would lead me to forget or just not use it when I need it a month down the road.

Having said all that, it is a good way to communicate, especially around the US. I think the more open communication is in education, the better teacher education will be. The ultimate goal is for kids to take ownership of learning and remember what is taught. This is simply one more medium.

Cole, Sonja. "25 ways to teach with Twitter." Tech & Learning. Online. 4 June 2009 www.techlearning.com/article/20896 9 June 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment