Thursday, June 3, 2010

Journal Article #1 5 K-12 Tech. Trends for 2010

The first journal article I read about was about trends for 2010. There was a list of the top five. The first was saying eBooks will grow. The second said Netbooks will be more common. The third talked about interactive whiteboard growth. The fourth, the use of personal devices will be much more common. The last said that technology will provide more towards catered curricula for all learners.

The article was not a hard read. I wasn't aware of some of the technology the article spoke of until I read the article. I have heard of eBooks before, but was not aware of the convenience and how often they are being used. The article said eBooks literally "lessen the load" that students carry around. I would imagine that book sales would go up too simply because students would have to buy the online book and not a used book. This does not directly affect what I do, but it would be good to see more children's books online for me to use in the class since I have an interactive whiteboard.

Netbooks and Interactive whiteboards are emerging technologies that are very useful. Netbooks are much like small laptops. They are cheap and easy to use. Interactive whiteboards are not cheap or easy to use, but are great for helping students to retain knowledge. Many schools are discussing getting both interactive whiteboards and Netbooks for students. I think you could end up with a technology nightmare in that case, and a lot of wasted dollars if you go overboard! I still believe human interaction is priceless, and I have a hard time reading articles like this that seem to say leaders are choosing pricey technology over character education and people skills. The whiteboards, however, do allow for students to get out of their seats, and I like that. The interaction is good, but staring at a big screen or small screen just doesn't seem to be the only solution for growth in kids.

The last two points had to do with personal devices, i.e. cell phones, and tailored curricula. Both involved a much more catered education. Having personal devices seemed to be a good way to get kids involved in middle and high school. I would not personally allow for it at all, especially after attending the Cyberbullying workshop.

Technology is enabling curriculum to be catered to specific needs of kids. Whether they are average, low, high, gifted, inbetween, technology is becoming a great way to catch them all. I've noticed that with the interactive whiteboard use this year in my room, and the use of online programs in my computer lab. Kids can learn at their own level and pace, and technology is motivating.

All 5 points have merit. I don't think all 5 affect my room, such as the cellphones or Netbooks. Technology is, at the very least, a very convenient and effective way to engage kids in my room, and some of the things I read about could be very useful.

Bibliography:

McCrea, Bridget. "5 K-12 Technology Trends for 2010." The Journal. Online. 9 December 2009 http://thejournal.com/Articles/2009/12/10/5-K12-Technology-Trends-for-2010.aspx?Page=1 9 June 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment